Monday, August 10, 2009

RIP Olympia

anyone who remotely knows me knows that im obsessed with pictures. all aspects, really. taking them, being in them, posting them, everything.

so clearly it was a sad sad day when i realized that my amazing little yellow/green Olympus SW 790 is no longer working. i've had it since Christmas 2007 and i love it. it's waterproof, shockproof and freezeproof and has definitely been put to the test. i brought it snorkeling with me in the bahamas and boogie boarding with me in the dominican republic. it's been dunked in plenty of pitchers of beer and used as a toy to occupy a 4 and 6 year old in a pool on many occasions. it will be missed. RIP.



here's the new dilemma in my life. albeit a small dilemma in the grand scheme of things, i still consider it one.

I need a new camera. This is not an option. I do not function well without one. Not to mention that i have 5 straight upcoming weekends with events i know i will want to photograph (14th - AC, 21st-24th - OCMD, 28th - friends bday party, 29th - Kayleigh's Annual Summer Party, 5th - Dane Cook in AC).

Here is what i do have options on: do i get a cheaper camera (not waterproof) just to have one and save up for the one i really want. OR do i just splurge and get the one i really want (which costs around $250)? the thing is - remember those bills i was complaining about in my last post? they're still there. but to me a camera fall under the necessities category. i could always charge it and pay it off slowly but surely. (clearly this is what i'm leaning towards).

The new one would be an Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 which is basically just a new and improved version of my beloved camera. It's waterproof, shockproof and freezeproof but is 10.1 megapixels (instead of 7), has a much larger screen, much better zoom, etc. it's awesome. and it still comes in the color that i love oh so much.



i just don't see the point in spending money to fix the old one or buy a cheaper, non-waterproof when i could just put that money towards this baby. also - at this point i'm so used to have a more rugged, waterproof camera that i think going back would be a mistake on my end and wind up costing more anyway. not to mention that my friends have come accustomed to playing the "lets dunk shanas camera in beer and pretend we hate her to scare/amuse other people" game and i fear that they might continue that game without realizing my new camera isnt waterproof.

i know this is a lot of rambling just about a camera but i'm just trying to weigh my options. any thoughts/suggestions?

2 comments:

Nicole said...

i say go for the camera you want and spend the couple of extra bucks. you know you'll enjoy it :)

Unknown said...

way to go Cristin